Thursday, January 20, 2011

God Speaks to Me

Ever since I was a little girl, God has used music to speak to me personally. Of course the primary way he speaks to all of us is through his Word. But I think he also has a way of communicating with us all on an individual, personal level. He is, after all, a personal God. Music is the way he speaks to me.

My earliest childhood memories include music. I remember being supremely jealous when my younger sister received an Amy Grant record for Christmas. I was only 7 at the time. It wasn't long before I was holding concerts in my bedroom, every lyric from that album memorized. Soon it was church musicals and learning the weekly hymns we sung on Sundays. As I got older, I joined choir in jr. high and high school. I don't even remember actually learning to sight-read music. It just always made sense to me.

Even now as an adult, God uses lyrics and melodies to really grab my heart. I can be going along my merry way, minding my own business, when a song comes on the radio that just cuts me to the core. So it's only natural that I would turn to music as I began this spiritual journey. It is what I turn to when I look for God.

This is one of my most favorite songs right now. It speaks exactly what my heart feels. My need for a Savior. My need to change, to be delivered. And my knowledge that there is only One who can do that for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment